A better way to shoot sports?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JeffGM Regular Member • Posts: 175
A better way to shoot sports?

One of my hobbies is shooting sports. I help coach a high school track team and I try to get photos of all my athletes to post online. I also like to do photos of the local college womens gymnastics team during meets.

Yesterday my track team was participating in a meet with two other schools. I had enough time to take quite a few photos of my athletes running and jumping. I was using my A7RIII with the 24-240mm Sony zoom. Most of my photos were taken with the kids running or jumping toward me. It was late in the afternoon and the sun was behind the stands so it was getting darker. I was shooting with continuous focus at with aperture as wide open as possible and ISO at 800. I was getting an unusual amount of poorly focused photos, about one in three. I have done better with my A7III under similar circumstances but I had been using an adapted Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. My comparison is hardly scientific but I was wondering if anyone had a few suggestions to improve my success rate.

JeffGM's gear list:JeffGM's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Panasonic G85 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow