Suggest me a ballhead!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DimensionSeven Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Suggest me a ballhead!

I'm looking to get a new tripod head. It has to be a ballhead and it has to be Arca-Swiss compatible, as I'm using now an L-bracket for my Z7. The front jaw needs to be thin to let the FTZ adapter mount and demount while the camera is on the tripod.

I'm currently using a Manfrotto 496 RC2 - this one - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=660321&is=REG&fromDisList=y , not the current one.

What I like about my current ballhead is that it operates quickly - you really have to use one knob only, that locks the pan and the head with a single movement. No need for a separate pan knob. I prefer to use that lever with my left hand, as with the right hand I'm holding the camera grip.

As for weight, it mustn't go above 500g. 300-400 gramms preferred.

What I dislike about my Mafrotto is the oily smear the ball has. It got my fingers, and from that my filters dirty several times. I'd prefer not to have lubrication needed for the head.

Benro IN2 would be fine, but has the silly spirit level protrusion on the front jaw, they should have put that on the side instead..

Any suggestions?

DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +8 more
Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow