Walkaround lens for vacation?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BluestravellerTX Junior Member • Posts: 32
Walkaround lens for vacation?

Background - newly acquired A7RIII, no native lenses.

With an upcoming SE Asia trip, I'm debating if I should take my A7RIII with adapted Canon 24-105F4, or a native walk around lens or just take my RX10 III (this is my baseline). Last year I did Singapore with my RX100 iii, which kinda worked except at night and also proved that 24-70 could cover most of my needs. With so many megapixels at my disposal I could crop for tighter shots.

I don't want to change lenses while on the move, the conditions will be humid and possibly dusty. Hence the one-lens limit.

My former 6D came with the 24-105F4 as the kit lens. I used this a lot as a walk-around lens and it did a decent job. I suspect all three of the native lenses below would be better in terms of IQ.

I'm also concerned about size, weight. I'm using the RX10 III as the baseline of what I would like to carry. I will be using a blackrapid sling, and in terms of size and weight these would all work (I suspect the adapted Canon would be a bit cumbersome)

I like the Zeiss for the size, the Sony for the reach, and the Tamron for the extra FStop (although having only bought OEM lenses I'm a little nervous about this one)

I would appreciate comments, particularly about the Zeiss vs Sony IQ.

RX10-iii, A7Riii with Tamron 28-75, Sony 24-105F4, Zeiss 24-70F4, Canon 24-105F4 with adaptor

BluestravellerTX's gear list:BluestravellerTX's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 6D Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow