Next step up from EF-S 55-250mm STM?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OptimisticCynic Forum Member • Posts: 55
Next step up from EF-S 55-250mm STM?

I use an adapted EF-S 55-250mm STM for telephoto work with my M50. The setup works great, but I often find that it’s not long enough when I’m out where I might encounter wildlife, and image quality isn’t always what I’d like it to be. It’s a fantastic lens for the price, size, and weight, but I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for a lens that might provide better reach and IQ?

One lens that comes to mind is the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM, but that’s not much more reach (80mm after crop) and IQ is reported to be largely similar. Another potential candidate might be the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. It would give me much more reach and IQ is reportedly great, I’m just wondering if it’s worth the large jump in price, size, and weight. Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

OptimisticCynic's gear list:OptimisticCynic's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow