Compare Oly 12-40 to Oly 14-42

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wharfhouse Regular Member • Posts: 145
Compare Oly 12-40 to Oly 14-42

I am contemplating my next purchase and have had my hands on an Oly 12-40 which does have a great feel to it. Currently for that zoom range I rely on my Oly 14-42 EZ (using my EM10.2 - I have the Oly 9-18 for UWA and the 40-150 for longer needs). The 12-40 doesn't feel overly large on the EM10.2 (I always use the EM10.2 with the optional grip anyway) and so to decide whether to make the investment (and then maybe later to move to the EM5 successor too for full WR) I was hoping that someone might have some raw files comparing these two lenses?

I shoot mainly landscape and so would be looking at a comparison between the 12-40 and 14-42 for a landscape style shot taken (for direct comparison) at around 14-18mm; ISO 200; f/5.6 on both lenses.

I know the 12-40 is a faster lens but this isn't my primary reason for purchasing so need to justify the difference in outside light at the above settings. I also know the 12-40 gets great reviews but I would really like to make the comparison myself before purchase. A lot of people denigrate the 14-42 but IMO I get really good images with this humble lens but that may be because of the sort of photography I am doing keeping it a couple of stops around f/5.6.

Would anyone have some raw files I can compare of the same scene from both cameras (raw so I can PP both to my liking) for the above for those two lenses (or even the 14-42 non-EZ at a push)?

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow