Shooting into the sun - sunstars

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DerekSurfs Senior Member • Posts: 2,205
Shooting into the sun - sunstars

Hello,

I am considering moving to Fuji from Canon. I currently shoot with a 6D full frame for landscapes and am looking to go mirrorless for a lighter weight setup.

One of the challenging things I enjoy shooting are sunstars which can cause a lot of issues with flare and color spots for various camera models and lens combos. I used to own a Sony A7 and it struggled to capture these kinds of photos. The sensor in that model had issues with direct sunlight which I discovered. Apparently later versions (A7II, A7III) were improved upon in that area to better handle direct sunlight.

I am wondering if Fuji folks can share some their experiences with direct sunlight. Have you had issues or successes with this type of photography? What are some of the problems you've encountered? Any sample images would really be appreciated. I'm considering an X-T2 or X-T3 along with the 10-24 f/4.

Here are a couple of recent images straight out of camera from the 6D and 17-40L (great lens for sunstars). Notice the second shot has a bit more flare. But normally it is easy to clean up unlike the Sony with huge color splotches and ugly flare.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

Derek

Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow