Extension tubes that would work with Nikon 2x Teleconverters

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BruceLV Junior Member • Posts: 42
Extension tubes that would work with Nikon 2x Teleconverters

I have all three Nikon teleconverters (latest versions of the 1.4x, 1.7x & 2.0x) that I use with my Nikon 70-200  and 105mm lenses.  I also have the Tamron G2 150 - 600 zoom, but it does not pair up with the Nikon teleconverters and requires that you buy one of Tamron's teleconverts (imaging that!?).  A friend of mine has been in a similar situation before and recommended to attach the teleconverter directly to my D850, then attach a wide extension tube to the teleconverter, and then attach the 150-600mm lens to the extension tube.  I have seen him do this many times with his Sony equipment.  He also does this when he wants to use a teleconverter with lenses he wants to use with his teleconverter, where the manufacturer does not recommend using a particular lens with a particular teleconverter.  Basically, this technique uses the empty extension tube as buffer between the teleconverter and the lens.  This prevents any damage to the teleconverter and/or lens in situations where the lens and teleconverter are not designed to go together.

I have a new set of Kenko extension tubes for Nikon and tried using this technique with the 150-600mm Tamron lens.  The problem I have is that there is a bezel on the inside of the extension tube that prevents the lens from getting flush with the teleconverter so that I can rotate the extension tube securely onto the Teleconverter.   It literally needs about 1 mm more space to matchup!!!   I am wondering if anyone has done this technique with another brand of Teleconverter (one without this bezel or with a bezel a tad deeper into the tube) and was able to successfully attach the extension tube to the 2.0x teleconverter (I have not difficulty attaching any of my lens to the extension tube).

Any input or suggestions would be most welcome.

Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow