Camera design, Up the Down Stairway or Up the Up Stairway

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,110
Camera design, Up the Down Stairway or Up the Up Stairway

Been reading about industrial design. I say it is getting better, bit by bit a la cameras and lenses and the human interface. I am thinking of the use of mapping capability. Some folks open a door by clockwise and some by counter clockwise. Lacking cultural standard, cameras allow for mapping.  Choose your poison, it is yours alone... One old  Graflex film camera had two push pull studs on the back which mimicked the actual movement of the lens in and out.  In and out, get it, not like a door knob.... But we get used to twist which is a cultural achievement of homo sapiens nay?. There are still some problems distinguishing zoom from focus I rather think. With focus twist ring being smaller and sometimes with a different grip feel mateiral. Is there a better way, I do not know frankly not my degree,,,,. Now as to buttons and configurations, I find Panasonic my fave brand has lost it as far as the location of the right thumb rest and the display mode button which is close to the right thumb. I would have liked to see the button either disableable or if not, a second push should return to the display that was default..meaning no corridor of displays to make one lose a shot.. Let's see. Ah yes, the dependency problem. When setting one function you forgot about will gray out any Flash settings...Logic and humanity would say that once there is a flash settled in the shoe, the other dependent modes should default to what allows flash shooting. But I quibble. It took years for Microsoft to their poop together in Windows. Eventuall, menus will be user friendly, map human instincts, icons will be well known. And RTFM will be OPTIONAL. Wait, what he man or she gal stops to read the manual. And yes, unboxing will also be accompanied by reboxing videos....we hope,.

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow