D7500 Will No Longer Format Card

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lenny C Contributing Member • Posts: 785
D7500 Will No Longer Format Card

Since the early 2000s, I formatted cards in my D70 and D200 hundreds of times. I recently purchased a D7500 and had no problem formatting the Nikon approved card through the camera’s menu the first time. After shooting my first batch of shots (in RAW) on my new D7500, I uploaded them directly onto my computer using the transfer feature in Nikon ViewNX-i. However, afterwards I went through the camera’s menu to reformat the card but it won’t reformat.

I do get the popup message "All images on memory card will be deleted. Yes OK" but it does not format the card as it did initially when I put the card in the first time.

The card is NOT locked out (and I checked and the "Format memory card" in the menu and it is not grayed out).

The NEFs remain on the card and are viewable on the LCD screen.

Any suggestions? The issue reminded me that when I got my D200 around 2005, I couldn't update the firmware. I thought it was me, but Nikon replaced all the electronics in the D200 when Nikon couldn't update the firmware either.

On a sidenote, I see that Nikon has apparently made a 2nd way to format the cards since I purchased my D200 long ago. I found one red button near the ISO button on the D7500, but I don’t see a 2nd red button to push simultaneously (I don’t see the 2nd red button in the photo here either https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/nikon-d7500-format-memory-card/

Are my senior citizen eyes playing tricks on me????

Nikon D200 Nikon D70 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow