Focus Bracketing on A7Riii -- Sony, I'm done waiting!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZilverHaylide Regular Member • Posts: 335
Focus Bracketing on A7Riii -- Sony, I'm done waiting!

I've decided that focus bracketing (at least focus bracketing; ideally, also focus stacking) will occasionally be so useful to me that I won't buy any future camera without it. For macro/close-up, I'm not going to lug a powered focusing rail into the field, and for longer-distance focus bracketing, such a device wouldn't help anyway.

I think it's absurd that Sony hasn't implemented focus bracketing and/or stacking on the A7Riii. I can get it on the Nikon Z6, Z7, and D850, on the Panasonic G9 and the upcoming S1/S1R, on the Fuji X-T2, X-T3, and X-H1, on the Olympus OM-D E-M1ii, OM-D E-M5ii, and OM-D E-M10ii, and on the Canon RP. Many of those cameras cost A LOT LESS than a Sony A7Riii. Given that reality, how many people here think it's indefensible for Sony to not provide focus bracketing on the A7Riii?

So what's up with Sony? Has anyone here heard anything specific about it being available in a future firmware update, and if so, when? Or do people think that Sony is deliberately holding off at providing it so that they can make a future A7R-4 more attractive?

If the latter, they are treating customers and potential customers with contempt -- and that in itself would make me want to go with a different brand. Even if that wasn't the case, I may have to go with a different brand simply because I've just about reached the end of how long I can wait for focus bracketing to appear on Sony.

Come on, Sony! Surely you know that people want that feature, and that your competitors have it. And it wouldn't be difficult to implement, it's not artificial intelligence, just a few code loops and tests against counter and limits, and a slight change in the menus.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow