Important lighting question...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aaron801 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,657
Important lighting question...

I'm an organizer (and also the graphic designer) for a jazz festival in my town (Portland, Oregon) and I'm going to be shooting a photo of the headlining performer this evening when he's playing a gig at a local club. I want a really clean, portrait type photo that I'll be hopefully using for the poster, program, etc. For this reason, I don't want to trust the vagaries of lighting and crowds in a club performance situation so my plan is to meet the guy early and take a staged type photo (behind his drums - he's a drummer).

I have but one small flash unit, a Godox TT350o (with a Olympus EM10), a small flash mounted reflector and a trigger so that I can use an umbrella off-camera. I have two umbrellas, one a shoot through one and the other a metallic reflector type thing. I think that I'll probably use some sort of mix of the ambient light and flash as I'm looking for smoother, more filled in type light. I wonder which of these tools folks would recommend using and how they would go about a shot like this? I feel like I'm a pretty experienced photographer in general terms, but with lighting I'm more or less of a beginner...

-- hide signature --

my flickr:
www.flickr.com/photos/128435329@N08/

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow