The Irony of Adapted Lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,106
The Irony of Adapted Lenses

It used to be:  that Sony had very few new lenses for its FE mount.  Adapters built primarily by Sigma and Metabones enabled the new population of Sony mirrorless owners to enjoy SLR lenses from other brands.   Yet, these lens adapters were often criticized by non-Sony camera owners as a reason not to buy Sony mirrrorless cameras, particularly FF.

Like others, i carefully studied compatibility reports and realized the Sigma MC-11 (and Metabones) would open up a huge range of Canon lenses for my use.  So today, I generally have one lens in my bag with a EF to FE adapter more or less permanently attached to a Canon lens, usually a tele prime that would cost much more if it was a Sony.  Currently that adapted prime is a Canon 135 f2 lens which i'm enjoying a lot.  I've noticed NO loss of sharpness/resolution because of such use.  I have noticed that AF near the edges of the AF frame do not work on the Canon 135 or Canon 200 lenses, while they still do on the Canon 85 and Canon 100.  I understand that 3rd generation Sony FF bodies have even better compatibility with these adapted lenses than my 2nd generation A7rII.

Now that both Canon and Nikon have mfr FF systems; (And use adapters to facilitate older SLR lenses in their new mirrorless systems) criticism of lens adapters has died down remarkably

Frankly, i can't tell the sharpness/resolution results from an adapted lens from one that has the correct mount.  As discussed, there are some minor (usually) AF incompatibilities between adapted lenses and Sony bodies.  I think buying a more expensive mount adapter compared to a cheaper one is well worth it.

Far from being a drawback, the ability to sample other manufacturer's  lenses is one of the benefits of having a FE mount body.

Your opinion?

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow