Lumix, the best compact cameras

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rochester21 Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Lumix, the best compact cameras

Last night my 2012 sony rx100 went bust with a bang, followed by the smell of burned plastic. Didn`t take long for me to realize that the only thing left to do was to sell the rx100 for parts. I needed a camera to take pictures of the rx100, so i reach out to get the only fully operational camera currently in the house, a 13 year old entry level panasonic FX3. I take the pictures and post the ad.

I`ve had 4 lumix cameras(all bought used) until this point and they all have been excelent. I gave away two of them, and later regretted it. Models like the 2008 LX3 are living legends and mine(bought used, currently misplaced somewhere when i moved) still works just fine, despite having tons of dust inside it, chipped paint and a partially deleted dial+ swollen battery. That thing runs like a clock. I have had compact cameras from other brands, but they just don`t age nearly as well. Panasonic compacts will continue to work when others won`t.

Not to mention the fact that at least until around 2014, most lumix cameras including the entry level FX3 were still made in Japan, not some country where workers are paid peanuts for working 12 hour shifts. For anyone with a conscience, this detail is pretty important.

The reason i started this post is to formally announce that my next camera will be a new to me LX100. I am tempted by the sony rx100 M3, but by now the trust i have put in sony has diminished. In my experience panasonic tops all other compacts in terms of reliability, and you can`t put a price on that. I can`t use a camera that doesn`t work when i need it no matter how good the IQ is, can i? A camera is a tool, and a tool has to work and continue working until it`s no longer needed.

Having said that, i am aware that the made in China LX100 will probably not be as rugged as earlier models. It`s a sign of the times, compact cameras don`t sell as well so the quality is dropping. I`m a bit sad, but what can you do? I know for a fact a dslr can work for 20 years before something breaks, but for compacts things are more complicated.

This is one of the FX3 pics taken featuring the burned-out rx100 taken after sundown:

Shame on you, Sony! Who`s the loser now? Said the FX3.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow