Sony A7R II focus problem: lens or camera at fault?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Landscaper2019 New Member • Posts: 3
Sony A7R II focus problem: lens or camera at fault?

I recently replaced by old APS-C DSLR for a full-frame camera. I purchased both the lens (Sony-Zeiss Vario T* 24-70mm SEL2470Z) and the camera (Sony A7R II) separately second-hand.

Unfortunately, it simply does not focus.

1. Autofocus does not work, the image is almost always out of focus. I get some soft noises and small changes in focus when pressing the shutter button (or when moving around with AF-C), but the result is never something that is in focus. The camera also spontaneously changes the focus to MF and then claims that the lens is not mounted properly or supported (though I have seen stories online for whom it works perfectly).

2. Manual focus also does not work - the focus ring on the lens does nothing at all on MF.

When I move the camera around, there are times that the image appears in focus, but then almost instantly goes out of focus again.

Short of ordering another lens, there is no way for me to find out if it's the lens that's broken or the camera (or both), which is why I am turning to people who know what they're talking about. Is it clear what kind of problem this is?

Thank you for your time.

Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow