G9 new trick (compared to earlier models) ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,648
G9 new trick (compared to earlier models) ?

Last night I filmed a little play that I knew was going to be slightly more than 1/2 an hour (the time limit on movies for the G9) so I had sat through a rehearsal and decided, with the cast, that at about the 20 minute mark there was a natural break where I could stop and then restart movie taking.  That worked perfectly, as expected.

What at first puzzled me, and then pleasantly surprised me, is that there were three .mp4 files, I only had expected two.  The first .mp4 file was about 21 minutes long and (to the best of my knowledge) exactly 4GB long.  The second was very short and was a continuation of the first without any discontinuity.  After that short file is where I stopped the first part, and restarted filming.  The third .mp4 file was the last approximately 11 minutes, as expected.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that that G9 silently closes the 4G file and continues without missing a beat in a new file!   Awesome.

And I wonder... did my old G7 know how to do that? I doubt it, but I may not know, since the G7 had an anti-aliasing filter and therefore would reach the time limit before reaching 4GB file size, at least that's what I remember.

By the way, I used autofocus on the opening number that had lots of people on the stage, I knew it would focus on them, and during that number I switched to manual focus so focus would not shift either to the background or to some audience member who might walk in front of the camera, during filming. I was using the 14-140 II at about 18mm, so I had considerable depth of field.   The blue "in focus" highlights were very reassuring! The results look very good indeed, to me.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow