E-M1ii Card Failure - Odd Symptom FYI

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CurtG
CurtG Regular Member • Posts: 479
E-M1ii Card Failure - Odd Symptom FYI

I had a card corruption experience I thought I'd share for general knowledge.  On a recent trip, one of two EM1ii bodies refused to focus.  I could select different focus points, but the actual focus mechanism refused to engage when called upon. No on screen trouble messages. Immediately I validated the manual lens focus clutch wasn't accidentally engaged. I rebooted, swapped lenses, changed mysets, changed various focus settings, all with no luck.  Eventually, I decided to continue shooting with the other body and address things back at camp later over a beer.  (As an aside, it was after shooting in light rain in a Peruvian rain forest and I silently feared weather resistance had finally failed.)

Later while triaging things, I got an ever so brief flash of a message about "card" while rotating the PASM dial.  Sure enough, the card in the top slot was corrupt. I tossed the card in the trash (lexar 64gb uhs II 1000x) and all was good again.  And fortunately no shots lost as I shoot duplicate raw to each card.   FWIW I always reformat my cards in body before reuse.  Only have had 2 card failures in many years.  Both lexar.  Sticking with sandisk here on out.

-- hide signature --
 CurtG's gear list:CurtG's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow