***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 17th - 23rd***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Snowfella
Snowfella Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Re: ***Weekly Wildlife Thread: Mar 17th - 23rd***

As per usual lots of cracker shots posted so far!

Just back from a week at the coast, family holiday (me and the better half, 3 step-kids with partners and 7 step-grandkids) so didn't have much hope for all to much free time to go hunting wildlife.

Checked in Thursday and with all the family activities plus lots of rain it wasn't till Monday when I finally got a chance to put the birding kit to use. Midday on the still wet sand dunes turned out to be seriously uncomfortable and only netted me a handful of distant shots.

Male Rainbow Bee-eater

Thought I had buggered something up with this one as the colour was soo muted...until I realized it was missing it's black bib = juvenile. Just haven't grown into it's more brilliant adult plumage yet.

Willie Wagtail

Went for a family picnic the following day and dragged the camera along for good measure, lucky I did as not only did I managed to catch some very curious locals but also managed some ankle biter shots.

Barely unpacked our lunch when the first potential picnic thief turned up to check what was on offer, parked itself right above our table.  Juvenile Pied Butcherbird.

As we didn't offer up any scraps, I'm generally against feeding wild birds, it went after someone elses left behind stale bread. Turned out within minuted that we were almost going to be outnumbered, 2 more juveniles and one adult quickly flew in along with 4 Kookaburra's.

Adult Pied Butcherbird, a nightmare to try to expose correctly when in the shade.

Kookaburra also checking out what was on offer, these guys will nick a snag straight off a hot bbq if you don't keep an eye on things!

Eastern Rosella.

While the rest of the family finished off the food I had a quick check around the nearby mudflats.

White-faced Heron

Soldier crab

Last full day of the holiday I took the time to walk the perimeter of the caravan park to see if I could get a shot of the one bird that had been taunting me the whole 7 day stay...with no luck, all I could find was another Wagtail.

As for the little thing that had taunted me during the whole stay and made me eventually try baiting with some food scraps...every morning during the stay we had 2 Grey Butcherbirds (out of 5 Butcherbird's species found in Australia only Pied and Grey can be found in NSW) would come in and check out our cabin deck for any scraps left behind and every time I missed getting even a single shot off.
Last day I relented and put out some chicken kebab leftovers and waited with gear at hand...and waited...eventually gave up 2 hours later as the sun was setting .

Que the ultimate stab in the back when the 2 little  turned up this morning to finish off the scraps 10 minutes after I had packed all the gear away.

Grey Butcherbird from the archives. Would of loved to get a less cluttered shot.

Edit, can't believe DP Review has a ban on the the variant of the "fertilizer" word 

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow