Zoom recommendation for safari

Started Mar 13, 2019 | Questions thread
dnscott645 Regular Member • Posts: 124
Re: Zoom recommendation for safari

I have been to Serengeti NP,  Ngorongoro NP, Tarangire NP, Lake Manyara NP, and Arusha NP  in Tanzania; Kruger NP and Hluhluwe-Umfolozi NP in South Africa; Hwange NP in Zimbabwe; Masi-Mara NP in Kenya.  I have been to open plains as well as woodlands and dense forest in the listed parks. Zambia should not be much different than Zimbabwe; Botswana is mainly The Kalahari Desert or the Okavango Delta which will range from open plains to some dense forests.  As I said most of your shots 150 mm or greater.  It is not that common that a large animal will come that close to your vehicle.  There is much more than the big five to shot. Most of your photos should be small and medium animals.  The reason I recommend the Pentax 150-450 mm lens is that it is a better than any Pentax mount Sigma lens in that focal length.  The 50-150 f2.8 Sigma lens is a very good. The Pentax lens is also weather and dust sealed. If you do not want to change lenses then bring an extra camera. You should have a back-up body anyway. Any camera equipment you are not using should be kept in a close camera bag to keep it from getting dusty or being damage. On the subject of dropping your equipment, be careful and don't do it, getting it repaired anywhere is a problem, let alone in Africa.

dnscott645's gear list:dnscott645's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Pentax KP Sony a7S III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow