No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
RMcL Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

Rexgig0 wrote:

JMD-70 wrote:

I'm looking to return to Nikon FF,....and I'm itching for a D810,...D850,...(can get right away),...or even a Z series body. However, I feel that I would have a more 'complete' camera system if I were to go with a D810 or D850,...as the appropriate accessories already exist in full un-crippled form for those bodies. If I were to jump to the Z system, I'd have a body that 1) has a smaller Top Display, One Card Slot,...and a proposed Non-Functional battery "Holder".

That said, I personally think Nikon should have not tried to "Be So Much Like Sony!",...and designed the new Z bodies along the size similar to what Panasonic did with their S1 and S1R. Those bodies,...IMHO, are "Homerun" bodies when it comes to their form factor! And those that yearn for a more complete "DSLR" feel would have a more satisfying experience with the new Z Series bodies. And! If Nikon had incorporated Dual XQD card slots,...or a XQD / SD card slots setup,...with a proper Top Display size,...a la D850!,....and with a proper battery grip,...perhaps the new Z bodies would be a Grand-Slam-Homerun hits as well!

Also, I can only imagine a Z Series body of larger dimensions,...where the smaller EN-EL15b battery could be used with a 'butt' adapter,....and Nikon released a larger (longer) higher capacity EN-EL15b-E (extended version) battery designed along the same with/height of the current EN-EL15b. This battery's capacity and Voltage would be on par with the EN-EL18 battery. So, the end result would be a body smaller than the DX series,...and larger than the DXXX series. This would yield a body more suited for balance when larger glass is mounted. Basically,....an MILC D850! It best have a "O" viewfinder too!!!!

That said,...this is the primary reason I have not jumped to the Z system,...as I couldn't buy-in on a half baked system!

....case in point for 'half-baked',....I've yet to see the Z system's battery holder for sale,..and ask, does any Z owners have this item yet?

So, I ask,...what are you waiting for in a MILC system from Nikon?

I am not waiting for Nikon to do anything. I am waiting for our budget to recover from adding a D5 and two D850 cameras in 2018. It would be fun to add a Z, but I cannot justify the expense, even if we could “afford” it. The Z simply arrived too soon after the D850.

When we do add a Z, it would be nice if it had better AF for rapidly-approaching subjects.

Similar reasoning for me. Bought a D500 and various lenses in 2017, then a D850 plus additional FX lenses in late 2018. That’s $10k+ on gear in the space of just over a year. Adding a Z7 at this time is simply not a justifiable option for me, plus I love my D850 to death! Why not stick with a proven DSLR at the pinnacle of its developmental life cycle for a few years? By that time mirrorless should be getting very appealing. That’s my thinking.

RMcL's gear list:RMcL's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
DWM
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
NNL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow