google stadia and the future of GPU

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
foot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,843
google stadia and the future of GPU

Google just announced their game console, the news is all over the net.  This plus Microsoft xbox "play anywhere" is a water-shed moment for GPUs

Today GPUs are a good thing, widely supported esp for image/video editing. But with both google and Microsoft moving away from games that are rendered locally to games that are rendered off in a server farm, there will be much less demand for high-end GPUs.

From a business perspective this makes much sense.  Selling the game consoles required Sony and Microsoft to make sure the best games would run on their consoles, and indeed were forced to make exclusive games for their units.

And think of all the billions of dollars in risky R&D developing game consoles.  And the game consoles would use custom versions of retail GPUs, supporting the GPU industry.

But the profit in games today is more and more in-game purchases. To such an extent that even AAA games, originally released $60 game, soon are released as free-to-play.  Since the more players, the more in-game purchases which is a huge business. Mobil gaming alone is a $50 billion industry!

So why force people to buy $300+ game consoles, which are low-profit margin items required billions of risky R&D? Why not let everyone who can and wants to play. Reduce any barriers to play - such as buying expensive game console or even needing to buy the games at all!

I'm not sure how this will effect the GPU industry.  But I would expect there will be much less need for new and advanced GPUs.  So the GPU industry could stagnate, without much improvement for image/video editing.

For server farms, it's about processing power vs electricity. This could also effect future GPU development, perhaps being especially designed for server farms.

Just my thoughts

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow