Masai Mara and Zanzibar advice appreciated

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RAS123 New Member • Posts: 10
Masai Mara and Zanzibar advice appreciated

Dear All

Have been lurking for a while and already picked up some amazing tips (which have informed my recent buying decisions) on what to take on a family holiday in July covering Masai Mara, Zanzibar and the Kenyan Rift Valley lakes.

Based on this I was planning on taking my new XT3 (with battery grip), XE-3 (backup), 100-400mm and 18-55mm. I was also thinking of taking the 27mm to use discreetly when in Nairobi and at places like the Elephant and Giraffe sanctuaries. Possibly also the 50-230mm and the Rokinon 12mm (for astro as I hear that the night sky in the Mara is amazing).

We will be 4 in total with 15kg each limit for the internal flights so weight may be an issue - would the 50-230mm and the 12mm be worth taking or would the 27mm, 18-55 and 100-400 cover what I need? I also have the so called F2 Fujicrons which I like using but don't see i will need unless I take the 23 or 35 instead of the 27.

One comment I have had is that the above lenses may struggle when due to light conditions as the game drives happen just after dawn and just before dusk.

Also any advice on a bag which will carry the XT-3 with grip and 100-400 attached but still with a bit of space for other things like snacks/sun block for the kids whilst still being within carry on size limits (if such a bag exists). I looked at the Peak Design everyday backpack as i know a previous poster recommended this in his blog but not sure I like the internal organisation as it looks like things will rattle around. I already have a Zecti backpack which my better half will carry and will be perfect for the XE-3 and smaller lenses together with the usual leads, cleaning gear, chargers etc.

New to photography (bought the XE-3 last September and the XT-3 last month and absolutely loving both!) so hoping to benefit from the experience of everyone here.

Regards

RAS123's gear list:RAS123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow