SD Card Purchase: Makig the Best Choice

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
bayindirh
bayindirh Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: SD Card Purchase: Makig the Best Choice

BJEPhoto wrote:

Hey all,

I recently bought the A7iii today and I have dwindled down my choice of SD Card but wanted to get some wisdom from you fine people. I had a Canon 5D before and I was using Sandisk CFcard.

The two I looked at is

Sony M 64GB vs SanDisk 64GB

Is the extra cost with the SanDisk worth it. I am only doing stills right now.

Tgabks for your wisdom and help!

First of all, congrats! Sony A7III is a terrific body. You'll be surprised first about the body's light and exposure response, then you'll understand its potential when you get used to it.

Please upgrade your lens and body firmwares, they help a lot.

Both cards are fine. Sony cards are sold at a premium here, so I got two pairs of Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 64GB cards. One set has 95MB/s read rate, and the other set has 170MB/s read rate.

Problems about 128GB cards are a solved problem as of the latest firmware. Do not worry about the capacity.

Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I cards are enough for all video and photo burst rates. Since it's only 24MP, buffer clearance is pretty quick even with UHS-I cards. There's no need to pay up for UHS-II unless you absolutely need it.

There's a bit of wisdom for a headache free A7iii operation:

1. Always format your cards on camera before operation, since Sony bodies use low-level SD initialization and formatting.
  2. Always delete images on-camera, use camera's image delete menu. Sony A7iii maintains an image DB on card, and tends to get corrupted if images are deleted off-camera.
 bayindirh's gear list:bayindirh's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow