AFFT - learning the hard way

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stratman1976
stratman1976 Contributing Member • Posts: 644
AFFT - learning the hard way

Sorry guys, just a little experience about improving my technique the hard way.

After getting the 85/1.4 I went through various stages of frustration. Not about the picture quality of the lens, but about getting my pictures in focus. At first everything gets shot at f/1.4 (as you do). That did not seem to work. Live view was fine, so I blamed the AF.

I have all Nikon glass and none of my lenses need any AF adjustment. But my 85/1.4 was a problem. The AFFT of my D850 was all over the place from -2 to +10 and none of the values seemed to work. With manual step by step input of the AF adjustment values I just could not get it to work either.

Today, I was going to settle it once and for all. So after a hourly session I just deleted the value and turned AFFT off started shooting. Tack sharp in focus at 1.4 at various distances

I feel stupid. Seems I move my body more than I thought during shooting. The combination of 85mm, f/1.4 and 47MP just revealed what my technique lacked.

I shot with 2.8 zooms and 35 & 50mm primes mostly up until now and this movement is probably less noticeable at these FL and apertures. In real life I hardly ever shoot at f/1.4 anyway.

So lesson learned the hard way, but I am glad it surfaced. Now that I've identified it I can do something about it.

Just wanted to share!

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow