for all FF BS, fuji told the real story, 1/3 market by value, by unit much lower Locked

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 5,657
Re: What will appeal to the Chinese?

Maikeru C wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

It would be naive to assume that every market world-wide is identical. To give just one example, I assume that the average disposable income in China is less than the average for participants of this forum. So perhaps a device targeted to that market would sacrifice functionality for a lower price. But maybe that's a prejudice I have that is not justified, so my question is legitimate - how would a product designed to appeal to Chinese tastes fail to attract a more global market? I've already seen examples of products for the Japanese market that fail to catch on internationally.

I am going to assume you have not been to China. The level of urban development occurring is staggering. You can see more cranes and trucks at one site than have ever seen elsewhere in the world.

Remember how many luxury cars and goods are sold there. Take a trip to Macau where Chinese gamblers like to go and take a good look at the stores selling many items costing more than $100,000 US. Or visit Rolex dealers in Hong Kong and Macau and ask who their biggest clients are.

Sure, average income is lower, but there is a certain segment of the Chinese population with almost unlimited money. That's who counts to the manufacturers of luxury and expensive goods.

You are correct, I have not been there. I knew when I made the comment that my ignorance would be showing. I would have been better off citing cultural differences, things that are considered important vs. those that can be ignored, except that I didn't have any examples.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow