Help me with my logic (unless 43/FF discussions bother you).

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yandrosxx Regular Member • Posts: 120
Help me with my logic (unless 43/FF discussions bother you).

I've read just about every 43/FF discussion thread out there.

But, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what PRAGMATIC differences there really are.

Essentially, there are two mediums in which photography is appreciated: (1) Prints; and (2) Digital Screens.

Prints; I understand there are some perceptible differences in IQ between large m43 and FF prints. But, based on my own experience and that of many others those distinctions are so minute as to not matter.

With that in mind, if you are of the opinion that FF does produce discernible and meaningful differences in IQ at large print sizes, I'd be interested and feel others would benefit from actually seeing the differences in actual prints. Not theory, the actual print.

I started this thread in part for that purpose.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4376476

Screens;  Today's best screens carry 4k resolutions.  At that resolution, i.e., your big screen TVs, the needed mpx resolution is about 8mpx.  As such, anything above 10mpx is essentially not needed.   In light of that fact, 16mpx and 20mpx 43 sensors offer a good deal of latitude to crop.  Moreover, if those images are likewise down-sampled, the noise output at ISO above 6400 is dramatically reduced as well without appreciable differences in IQ.

I appreciate that lens quality factors into this equation, but the optical quality of 43 lenses is now quite good.

So, what's the point really of higher resolution sensors given the formats we use to experience photography?

Don't misunderstand, I think FF systems are often great.  I'd really just like to understand where they actually matter in real world applications.

Not in theory.  In actual practice.  Where did it ACTUALLY make the difference in a print or screen application?  And then how often is that circumstance going to actually come up?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow