No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
avalvo Contributing Member • Posts: 982
Re: No "Z" Yet - What's Your Reason?

I certainly believe in MLC, as I shoot Olympus as well as the D850

I did not buy Z for a few reasons:

1) I really hate the implementation of the Z adapter

2) I have really good F mount glass and I don't see much improvement for my uses

3) Better AF and Battery life on the D850.  Shooting in the cold this can make a difference.

4) For full-frame I shoot off a tripod, mostly, and don't need IBIS.  When I want great IBIS I turn to Olympus, which is definitely world class and the new E-M1X is an impressive and more versatile camera .  If not, I can turn to some lenses with  VR/ OS built in.

5) The D850 is still a better all around camera. With lenses as large as they are, I think you need more heft in the body.  Panasonic made the right choice here.  I think they will be a formidable competitor with FF and M43 systems and Sigma making glass for the L mount.

6) No really image quality improvement over the D850.

7) Not enough native lenses at launch - see point #1

Will I go with Nikon Z in the future.  That depends.  I have been a Nikon shooter for 30 years or more.  I have a nice complement of glass, so it might make sense.  However, some of the newer systems are interesting, so I will wait and see.  My current tools do all that I need, and I will even add two F mount lenses this year.   Hopefully, Nikon will come with the next iteration of the camera and give me some compiling reason to buy.  If I can get Prime like quality our of a set of 3 zoom lenses, then I might go with a Z system.  But, I am a bit skeptical of that as we sit here today.

Anthony

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
DWM
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
NNL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow