PSD vs. TIFF - any color shifts/loss of color or quality using PSD?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 2,167
PSD vs. TIFF - any color shifts/loss of color or quality using PSD?

I'm sure this has been debated back and forth, but in LR when you set your external editor (in my case PS) to save files as PSD, it makes a note that it may not be able to encompass the full range of color of the ProPhoto RGB color space (which is the default I think, and the color space I generally use).

So far, I've just been saving files as TIFFs to maintain color as I was concerned about losing color or having color shift as a result of using PSD files, but I'm finding that many TIFFs (as I usually have at least 3 layers in most edited images) are getting rather large, some around 400 MB each whereas a PSD version might 20% of that.

I also turn off all TIFF file compression to help reduce any possibility of corruption of any sort relating to compression, which may also account some for the larger files.

Is there any risk of color loss or color shift if you use the PSD file format over TIFF? I'm not so concerned about being able to share with other people as I do all my editing myself and if I needed to share it with someone who doesn't use Photoshop, I would just resave it as a TIFF on a case-by-case basis.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow