Is Adobe pricing itself out of the game?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 3,950
Re: Is Adobe pricing itself out of the game?

ADW02 wrote:

StarPortraits wrote:

When the subscription began years ago I believed the business model did not apply to the occasional user. I still do today. I been using whatever retailer had to offer since the product keys are still functional. There is always open software like gimp which lets you do thing ps does for free.

For serious amateur or pro photographers, I believe Adobe's leasing policy is actually a good thing. I know I've written that if On1 has another big update I may very well end my association with Photoshop, buy the update to On1 and use that for a number of years before updating again. But let's look at this from what I believe is Adobe's point-of-view.

When Photoshop was a small product that was purchased in a box, and activated by typing in the code from inside the box, piracy was originally small and manageable. But as PS became more sophisticated--and more expensive--piracy ultimately became rampant. If I recall correctly, I believe the last boxed version cost something like $750 if you weren't a student, making it a pirate's dream.

People who paid the full price for Photoshop (and an additional $200 if they wanted a new piece of software, called "Lightroom") at least had the satisfaction of knowing it was theirs for life. Never again would they have to invest money for photo development. For many people, perhaps most, that illusion lasted for 18 months, until Adobe came out with a Photoshop upgrade that cost $200. Of course, you didn't have to upgrade, but if you didn't buy the next upgrade after that you could no longer buy upgrades, and would have to buy the full Photoshop program again to get the latest developments. Ouch. And since Adobe made certain that an18-month upgrade was advanced enough to compel owners to buy into it, mass sales were guaranteed. So too was mass piracy, to the point, I believe, that it imperiled Adobe's long-term financial stability.

Adobe's solution to the problem was truly remarkable. No one would have to buy the program ever again, saving customers $750 right off the bat. Updates were instantaneous, and the $10 monthly charge actually saved users $20 after 18 months, compared to the $200 upgrade fee. The cherry on top was that Lightroom was thrown into the bargain for free. I believe Adobe did this because there was simply no way to sell the program and not be besieged by pirates costing them an enormous sum of money. And at its inexpensive lease price, amateurs who would otherwise ignore Photoshop would be drawn to it.

As for competition, On1 RAW 2019 is a fair competitor, although by no means in the same ball park yet. But it is non-subscription, I believe internet-guarded by On1, and relatively inexpensive. If serious amateur photographers can achieve great results with the next upgraded version, it might be hard to persuade them to continue with Adobe. Amateurs would want a program more advanced than Lightroom, but wouldn't need all the bells and whistles of Photoshop, and On1 RAW 2021 might just turn the trick. if On1 should indeed produce a noticeable effect on Adobe's bottom line, it might be interesting to see how the company fights back.

I've been using PS since v 6 or 7. Most of the updates are either minor or niche. They could get away with what they were doing because they were the default program with few competitors, not because everyone needed the updates.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
RVJ
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow