What are your thoughts/practices on reformatting and reusing cards?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KJC Regular Member • Posts: 108
What are your thoughts/practices on reformatting and reusing cards?

Cards have become so cheap, I wonder how many photographers simply don't even bother reformatting and re-using any more? I realize cards are not an ideal backup, and I do have my photos backed up on multiple devices, including three offsite, but it seems it could not hurt to have yet another one sitting around. Also, years ago, I had a few problems with cards that had been re-formatted a few times.

Also, my wife and I are going to France for three weeks (Paris, Brittany) this summer, and, given the cost of the trip, and the fact that we will likely not return for some time (so many other places to visit!), I wonder whether it is safer to just buy all new cards for the trip. Is there any evidence that reformatting and reusing a few times can decrease reliability? Is a set of all new cards my best bet for an expensive trip like this?

How often do you reformat/reuse a card before you cease to trust it? How does the age, capacity, and manufacturer of the card factor into this?

I only use 32 GB cards (shoot mainly with a Nikon 7200), as I don't want to lose a ton of photos if a larger capacity card gets lost or stolen.

I appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow