Anybody come to or return to m4/3 after using Fuji?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 38,615
Re: Anybody come to or return to m4/3 after using Fuji?

Ozonation wrote:

OP here. I didn't have a lot of time to elaborate earlier, but I guess I'm caught in the middle.

I'm fortunate that I can run three systems: Nikon, Fuji, and Olympus/Panasonic (more by chance than by design). For the longest time, I only shot Nikon (action/sports/receptions/events) and had a Canon compact for daily carry.

Then for a photo expedition to France about four years ago, I realized I had nothing light or compact, so I heeded a respected colleague's recommendation and got the Olympus EM5Mk2. Olympus had these great deals on, so I managed to build a great little kit. However, around the same time, I had heard about Fuji's latest and I took chance also on an XPro1 and 23 mm f1.4 (both used) to fool around with. I ended up sticking to Olympus for the trip, but I found when I returned, it didn't get a ton of use in my sports shooting or other uses.

So I started building my Fuji gear whenever things came on sale. I now have a great kit with Fuji XT2 and XPro2 and many of the "essential" lens. I sort of vowed that I'd be ending my use of Nikon. I have great Nikon glass, but all of it was purchased long before prices went up to the point I can't justify them anymore. And so for a good while, I was shooting Fuji all the time.

... except that I've moved much more into portraiture in the last year so I returned to using my Nikon because of the additional resolution and honestly battery life. (I shot a wedding last year, all my Fuji batteries were exhausted, and thank goodness I had tossed my Nikon kit into the back of the car as well). And for everyday carry, I decided to revisit my m4/3 system and it works really well. As the Fuji members pointed out, you can get smaller Fuji bodies and smaller lens... but across the whole system, it's not quite as compact as you'd think.

As a result, at the moment, I'm just not using my Fuji system as much anymore. I'm loathe to let go of the Fuji glass - premium stuff, and it is a fun system to use. But I'm sort of operating at the two ends: full frame for the detailed portraiture work; m4/3 for the everyday carry. A couple others have said the same thing (FF on one end; m4/3 on the other).

As you can probably guess, I'm "thinking aloud", and what I'm wondering is if anybody decided definitely on one system vs the other, and if there were any second thoughts after extended use.

If you are using your Fuji system less and less, then just focus on the m43rds system you are using. It's better when you focus on one set of key tools vs having too many.  And as you said- the Fuji stuff is great, but it's just better to just have the tools you need/you want to use.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow