Sony a7iii firmware bug - AF in Focus Mag(nification) glitch

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JohnTheKeenAmateur
JohnTheKeenAmateur Regular Member • Posts: 163
Sony a7iii firmware bug - AF in Focus Mag(nification) glitch

I love my new a7iii - - and I'm really impressed with its extensive customisation/configuration capabilities. However, I've encountered a troubling glitch in the implementation of the AF in Focus Mag. feature.

This feature provides magnification of the focus area while in AF mode - - which is handy when you want to be sure that the AF system is focusing precisely where you want it to be focused (even when using Spot Focus) ... such as on a small object behind other objects that closely surround it.

To implement this feature, you need to set Menu - Camera Settings 1 - AF in Focus Mag. to ON. To activate it, you need to invoke Menu - Camera Settings 1 - Focus Magnifier ... and you need to be in one of the AF modes (obviously).

I have Focus Magnifier assigned to my C3 button, for ready access.

Here's what I'm finding, tho;

- I activate Focus Magnifier, via the C3 button

- I use it as intended and I repeat the process, taking a number of shots

- after a number of repeated shots, after I have pressed the shutter-button, the EVF blacks out and there's a long pause - then the camera resets (in my case, returning all settings back to those associated with my last-selected Memory Recall ) - - and I find that the last shot has not been stored.

This is perhaps not a feature that's widely used(?) - but I wonder if this is a known problem - and whether anyone else has encountered this bug/glitch ??

-- hide signature --

Regards, John (the keen amateur)

JohnTheKeenAmateur's gear list:JohnTheKeenAmateur's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow