“Sony FE 135mm f1.8 GM Early MTF Results” !!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sacohcan Regular Member • Posts: 415
Re: “Sony FE 135mm f1.8 GM Early MTF Results” !!!

aSevenArr wrote:

sacohcan wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

sacohcan wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

IamJF wrote:

Their 50/1.4 isn't shabby too

Or 85GM. OR 1635GM. Or 100400GM. Or 55mm. Or ...

Also worthy of note ... The Sony 70-200 GM is actually a terrific portrait lens. I wouldn't be too upset if that was all I had at a shoot.

But the 70-200 is useful for a ton of other stuff too unlike this new mid-tele GM lens which is really quite a bit more specialized (for me at least it would be used only as a portrait lens - I'd never use it for sports for example where I do prefer a zoom).

I own the 70-200 GM and use it for sports and portrait but the 135 f1.8, because of its good AF being f1.8, will be a nice lens for indoor sports, concerts, etc... I don’t need a zoom for sports and it seems most pros don’t need it either. 200 f2, 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8...

Hmm... so many instances and experiences that I could bring up here.

But .. for example: You should watch the YouTube videos of the Sony 400mm f2.8 GM launch event that was video'd at an air show.

Quite a few of the 'usual suspects' who regularly post YouTube Sony videos were invited to try the new offering (and it's an awesome lens - please don't get me wrong).

But what I found interesting was that by the end of the day quite a few of the invited pros had swapped the huge bulky new 400mm offering for the Sony 100-400 GM lens (one of my favorite lenses for shooting sports). I had to smile.

So I'm not alone in preferring a zoom it seems. The main reason for wanting the "big gun" of course is that it's faster glass. But the reality is that it's often not really necessary when there's plenty of ambient light - and by contrast zooming for framing different shots at fast moving events has so many other advantages over prime glass.

Also.. that 100-400 is a tack sharp lens even with an added TC for more reach when it's needed.

I use both zooms and primes for sports. The 400 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 together for example for football. Sometimes the 400 f2.8 and 300 f4 PF depending on the sport and cameras used: FX or DX Nikon cameras at the same time. That way, I can get the far subjects with the 400 and the closest ones with the 70-200. I’m not using the Sony 100-400 GM for sports stills, actually. Most of the time, I shoot video sports with it, where I don’t need the great separation from the background the 400 f2.8 offers and 100-400 GM can’t. Or for BIF and some birds, where I don’t need that separation either. Great lens, of course, but not f2.8.

I prefer a zoom for sports as well but they are not as fast so I’m going to buy the 135 f1.8 because it’s faster than 70-200 thanks to the f1.8 and the suposed good AF it has. And I want the fastest lens I can bring to indoor shooting. It will be used as a portrait lens, too, and to shoot concerts, etc... I suppose I’m not the only one. Anyway, it’s great we have such good options. And I would never take the 100-400 GM for ahooting sports instead of the Sony 400 GM, which I’ve never tested, unfortunately.

Everyone has different habits and different styles. I do like shooting fast glass a lot myself (who doesn't) - and a quick glance at my profile will show you that

It's just not always possible of course and the 400 GM is priced out of my reach for now.

That said by the sounds of it this new 135 will produce images that are highly "crop-able" with gorgeous bokeh and separation... so it's a consideration for sure.

Yes I'm very tempted I will admit it. I'm trying hard to avoid a relapse of my G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome). I've been in remission for several months now, I wasn't going to grab the 24 GM when it launched but I ended up buying it anyway.... hmmm....

Agreed! And the 400 GM is out of my reach, too. My Nikon was half when I bought it years ago. The new Nikon is priced the same as the Sony now so I’ll keep shooting mine. I’m just interested in the 135 f1.8 GM and a second Sony body now. I hope I can wait until the A7SIII or new A9 are released in order to see how they are and take advantage of disconts on the A9. I’m very pleased with it. Very tempted by the Nikon 500 f5.6 PF but the 100-400 GM is great and 100mm more don’t justify the cost. Maybe a 600 f5.6 PF would be impossible to resist. I hope Sony offers something like that some day.

Regards.

sacohcan's gear list:sacohcan's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow