Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,674
Some tips which will help:

ThomasH_always wrote:

jalywol wrote:

Joe Reynolds wrote:

>>and is way too dark in the sunlight.<<<

On the R you can turn up the brightness. Not sure about RP.

The RP lets you do both.

Too bad the OP didn't bother to look that up before complaining about it.

-J

Oh no: _You_ should have looked it over, before stating the wrong claim.

In the RP you can only adjust the screen brightness together with the viewfinder. Use search in the PDF manual. It will lead you to the page 373, where there is a menu item "Disp. Brightness." Pretty standard stuff.

Nooo. Guess what:

While looking through the EVF when on the "Disp Brightness" menu page, magically there appears, at the upper right corner of the screen, the notation "Viewfinder", and when you, with your eye to the EVF, then adjust the slider, it ONLY adjusts the brightness of the EVF!

Then, when you take your eye off the EVF, and the screen display comes on, the "Disp Brightness" menu comes up on the rear LCD with, in the top right corner, the word "Display"! Magic! Now you can adjust the brightness for the DISPLAY only!

And yes, they can both be different. I prefer less bright display settings for both the EVF and the screen, but on bright days I adjust the rear screen way up so I can see the LCD outside....but use the EVF still low. Amazing how that works!

Oh, and this is the same way that most EVF/LCD adjustments work in mirrorless cameras now. Think about it...makes perfect sense to only be able to adjust the EVF when your eye is actually at the viewfinder! That way you don't inadvertently change one setting when you are viewing the other!

The issue here is different though: The Camera should adjust the EVF _automatically_ to follow the ambient light. It is about the physical properties of our eyes, adapting to the level of the ambient light. Imagine you just went from a shady area into a bright sun flooded square and attempt to shoot, but your screen was previously adjusted to the shadows. You really want to constantly fiddle with a menu and set it up and down, down and up?

That is an entirely different thing, and yes, having ambient adjustment functionality is nice to be able to select if you prefer it. However, only some mirrorless cameras have it, and it's not something I would necessarily expect in a base model. Sony, for instance, at least on its earlier A7 models, had no auto adjustability, but it did have a "Sunny Weather" setting which goosed the rear screen brightness quickly when you selected it. That would actually be a useful option for the RP....but what I have done is assigned the brightness to a line in the "My Menu" settings, so I can bring it up and adjust it quickly if I need to.

Exactly this property of the OVF, which is to follow the ambient light, is one of its enduring qualities, which is so difficult to emulate in the EVF.

No, I disagree. The EVF gives you an entirely accurate picture of what the sensor is seeing in terms of exposure at any given moment. No OVF can do that. Brightness of the display in response to the ambient light is a totally different thing. I always know, when using a mirrorless camera, whether with LCD or EVF, the exposure that I am seeing on the screen is what is going to be recorded by the sensor. You cannot do that with an OVF. If I have to bump up the gain on the displays to see them outside, they still are going to show whether or not the exposure is correct; adjusting display gain has nothing to do with that.

Look, I've been using mirrorless cameras now for 8 years. I've gotten so used to being able to see what exactly the sensor is seeing when I shoot that when I go back to an OVF, I feel like I am shooting totally blind for all parameters except composition. What I will say is that there is a learning curve with EVF use, and you need to approach it a little differently than you would an OVF so you can learn how to get the most out of it. Same thing with a bunch of little tweaks about mirrorless in general, It's just a bit different than what you are used to, and it takes time to get the hang of it all.

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow