Finally chose a portrait lens...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Contributing Member • Posts: 908
Finally chose a portrait lens...

Forgive the rambling...

I have been going round in circles for a few weeks since getting the Z7 about the right portrait lens to put with it.  I started with thinking the 105 or 135 sigma, but worried Eye AF may be nikon glass only.  (noone can tell me yet).  Then decided my dream lens of the 105mm Nikkor was finally worth it (but balked at the near 2k cost).   Then I talked myself through a series of ever cheaper options down to the 85 1.8g and then decided I should expect the 85mm S lens any time and that was the one...

Self torture.

But I went to the Photography Show in Birmingham on Monday and finally got to try out the options, and the results were interesting - and made my mind up.

The Sigma 105 is a beautiful lens - but CRAZY heavy on a Z7.  I know some might not mind it, but it felt way too much to me, totally unbalanced, and I usually don't mind lens weight and like the sigma art in general.  Incredibly sharp of course,  but I also wasn't completely sure there wasn't some slight inconsistency of focus accuracy, although hard to tell on a show stand.

Then the Nikon team told me not to expect the 85 until quarter 4, which is too far away, so I tried the 105mm 1.4 which was on a D5 - and I thought it was a bit soft, and also it was infuriatingly front focussing at varying levels according to distance - I know it is adjustable, but that was a big part of why my D850 drove me mad.

So then I asked the rep to put the 105mm on the Z7.  And my mind was made up in about 60 seconds.  Perfectly sharp.  Completely consistent, super fine focus accuracy.  Background rendering that was just incredible and gave the subject incredible pop - and visibly better results from the compression differences to the 85mm I tried.

Fortunately I found a mint (condition 10/10) near new one from MPB the UK for £1280 and it was in my basket before someone else could rip it from under me - it arrives tomorrow, and I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a lens!  I'll post some images when I get the chance...

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow