The Photography Show at the NEC 2019

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
The Photography Show at the NEC 2019

I"ve just spent a few enjoyable hours at the last day of this show and thought I'd share a few things that caught my eye.

For the non UK amongst you let me just say this is UK's biggest annual photo show.

1. Although it was mid week it seemed well attended and organised and a good day out to try out kit, talk to company reps and even snap up a great deal.

2. I wanted to check out the Leica Q2 but they didn't attend. And surprisingly neither did Ricoh despite recently launching their GRiii. They did last year. So no Pentax presence which is a shame. (If I missed their stand no doubt someone will be along to educate me).

3. Zeiss were there but no ZX1 (not even as a mock up in a case) and the helpful guy I spoke with said that price, spec, etc were still unknown but they had a meeting next month in Germany to learn more.

4. Sony, Panasonic, Canon and Nikon were all there but whenever I saw them the Canon stand was by far the busiest.

5. Difficult to get near much of the Canon stand as there were always big crowds there and especially near the MILC area, naturally.

6. Nikon also busy but seemed still to be pushing their high end DSLRs and their large reach lenses.

7. Olympus had one of the nicest looking stands which had an interesting time line of Olympus products through the ages, all with actual cameras. To my mind it showed how they were an innovative company except they seemed to have lost their way during the 90s. Quite a busy stand but not a great deal of interest in the OMD-EM1X (did I get that right?)

As an aside somehow I always love the look and feel of the OMD camera bodies but end up buying Panasonic?

8. This was apparently the first time Worldwide that one could buy a Panasonic FF ILC. I didn't. But there was a great deal of interest on their large stand. By contrast the G series wasn't getting much attention even though I doubt many will buy a FF and more will buy MFT.

9. Sigma were there but not showing any FF camera or making anything of the L-mount fraternity. They presented as a lens company and even their SD Quattro and DP range seemed tucked away as an also ran.

10. There were several companies offering show special deals. A few that caught my eye were:

Panasonic G9 for just under £900.

Pana G9, 12-60 (I assume the Lumix not Leica one?) plus the 200mm for £2099? !!! Or add a 1.4x adapter for a total of £2299!!!

Canon 100-400L ii lens for £1699 but with £500 Canon cash back ie £1199!

Sony A7Riii noted as "for special offer' but couldnt fight my way to the front as ask how special it was.

If I remember anything else Earth shattering I'll mention it later.

HTH

Dave

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +18 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 (Lumix DMC-ZX1) Ricoh GR III Sigma sd Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow