The Camera That Takes Your Favorite Photos

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ray Shan
Ray Shan Junior Member • Posts: 46
The Camera That Takes Your Favorite Photos

5 years ago, I owned $20k worth of full frame DSLR and f/2 glass, and I was not happy with my work versus those Instagramers shooting only with iPhones. So I ran an experiment: I sold everything, bought a used RX1, and kept it in my backpack everyday. The result: my work drastically improved. I even sold a few pieces. The most interesting thing is that my favourite photo was shot on an iPhone 6:

En route. #ShotOniPhone

The key learning for me was that the camera’s carry convenience, ergonomics and intuitiveness make a much bigger difference to my work than its technical capabilities. Having the camera with me everywhere, everyday, and by my hand means that I got a ton more practice. The moments often happen without me seeking them out, and I'm now able to decisively capture more of them.

Given this, I believe the best form factor for street and travel photographers is somewhere between large-sensor point and shoots and small mirrorless systems. I wrote down my thoughts here on how to pick a camera that takes my favorite photos. Here's a summary of how the form factors compare:

How different camera form factors stacks up against each other on the Camera That Takes Your Favorite Photos Matrix.

What's the camera that takes your favorite photos?

Apple iPhone 6 Apple iPhone XS Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
1cb
MOD Biggs23
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow