Front Feed: A design flaw in the Epson P800?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dnj New Member • Posts: 2
Front Feed: A design flaw in the Epson P800?

My P800 recently started messing up when feeding heavyweight matte art papers (eg, Canson Rag 310gsm) in the front feeder. The printer makes a whirring sound, reports a jam, and when I remove the sheet, the printer has scored a line across the back.

I realized that the problem is that the sheet is hitting the bottom of the (open) rear door. It seems that other people have encountered exactly this problem. Moreover, the solutions people suggest work well for me, especially inserting a sheet of regular bond paper in the rear tray so that the sheet being fed is supported in curving round the bottom of the door. (Other solutions are (a) to manually guide the paper past the base of the rear door and up the support before pressing the load button, but that only works for larger sheets, and (b) holding the rear door in its full open position when the printer attempts to flip it forward, but that’s awkward and seems unwise.)

Strangely, Epson tech support denies that this is a design defect, and they tell me I definitely have a hardware problem that needs to be checked. They did admit that if the paper is very thick, it might not be bending enough, and I should perhaps be treating it as posterboard (thus feeding straight through).

So my current theory is that

(a) The printer has a basic design flaw

(b) I started getting this problem because my rollers are a little dusty, and previously they had enough grip to drive the paper past the obstacle

(c) The solution is to insert the plain paper sheet in the rear

What I’d really appreciate hearing from people is:

(1) Have you had similar problems? Do you have other solutions?

(2) Should I be cleaning my printer rollers, and if so how? I’ve run some sheets through on the Roller Feed function, and also tried feeding some sheets that I wet with rubbing alcohol (although there seems to be a dispute about whether alcohol damages rollers or not). I also see that Amazon sells Epson cleaning sheets from Japan, and the Epson tech said they’re good to use, but they appear to be discontinued.

— Daniel

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow