Conflicting information: A7iii - Lens comp applied to raw or not?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Purpledog Junior Member • Posts: 47
Conflicting information: A7iii - Lens comp applied to raw or not?

As I understand it, some of the Sony lenses are designed to be corrected for distortion as that makes the lens easier to design and build, and software can do the necessary corrections quite easily.

The question is whether these corrections (and I'm particularly interested in the distortion correction) apply to the raw file, or whether I need to correct in my raw converter afterwards? I have come to this because the lens profile for the 24-105 f/4 G OSS in CaptureOne crops the image, presumably because it is applying corrections and removing the edges as a result. I would like to turn off the correction if I can do without compromising my images, but if I need that correction to render straight lines as straight, then I guess I have to suck it up!

I've scoured the forum here and some people suggest the compensation is already applied to raw, others say it isn't... anyone know the definitive answer?

I'd vastly prefer reliable information to spending the weekend photographing brick walls!

Thanks

Purpledog's gear list:Purpledog's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7 III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow