Phones already eating the FF...?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
migus Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
Phones already eating the FF...?

Verge's review here is arguable and quite subjective, with a bias for vlogging - to say the least.

However, something else caught my attention: ie., see the comment below by a pro​. AFAIK very few have argued till now about the FF being sieged by phones.

Hitherto it used to be the smaller/lesser sensors under the assault of multi-cam stacks and computational photography/CP.

Hence the 1", u43 and APS cameras had ticking clocks and shrinking markets, as Canon clearly stated earlier this year. But the FF niche was supposed to be safe, still a good 'investment'... Apparently not anymore.

noncognitive (user name)
"I own a Sony a7 full frame and haven’t pulled it out once in the 3 months I’ve had my new born baby.

Bought a Google pixel 3 and have taken great photos in places where the a7 would have been a pain and lower IQ. The pixel night sight mode is just killer indoors.

I was planning on doing photoshoots with my studio lights and all, but it’s a lot of work for marginally better shots. And, without the strobes and diffusers on, the pixel 3 is simply better IQ in low light.

Sony definitely should worry about camera phones. I have a note 8 and a7 already and yet in prep for baby photos I bought a pixel 3.

Im used the the menus on the Sony, shooting professionally on it for years. But size, ease, speed, and always with you makes smart phones hard to beat for many use cases."

Posted on Mar 16, 2019 | 6:39 AM

What's your take, mainly from an APS perspective - is it still worth throwing oodles of cash on such systems, given the rampant progress the multi-cam phone and CP?

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow