Upgrade from Epson 4900

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,945
Re: Upgrade from Epson 4900

drgas99 wrote:

I took this opportunity to upgrade to the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-2000. With all the discounts and rebates, it was around $2000 vs. the Epson P5000 for around $1400 = roughly a $600 difference for a 24 inch printer.

yes, the pricing can make big differences too what to get

The Canon comes with 160 mL full set of ink vs 80 mL with the Epson. That difference is a big step, if not fully covers the $600, in bridging the gap in prices to me. There are a lot of other nice features as well which I hope will make it worth it.

One thing that the Canon may not do as well as the Epson is cut sheet handling as it does not have a storage tray. It seems that one needs to load each sheet...one at a time.

Yes, the only Canon with that feature is the old iPF5100 - rather ancient now (still useful though)

Lots of people have asked about a 'PRO update for the 5100, but there's been no sign.

I hope it will be clog free and expand the projects I can do at home.

Just make sure you use it regularly

I had one here for quite some time and have a very long review that may help, if you're not familiar with the Canons

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-imageprograf-pro-2000-printer-review/

In particular, look at the benefits of creating your own custom media types - quite easy to do and not requiring any measuring equipment. One benefit is they optimise bi-directional printing for the custom media's thickness.

BTW, for others tempted by lower prices on big printers, but unfamiliar with them, I'd suggest answering some of the questions at

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/looking-for-a-bigger-photo-printer/

Hope that helps and you enjoy your big prints!

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow