Considered the 6400, or even the older 6500, but now not think that is a good idea.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Indieke1 Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Considered the 6400, or even the older 6500, but now not think that is a good idea.

These last years I been traveling around with two cameras. The Sony RX 100 M3, honestly the best compact, I ever owned. And for Bokeh on my portraits my old Canon D 550. I have done a big error with my D 550. I used the heavy, heavy 18-135 mm lens; only 1/ 3.5 - 5.6 mm, reducing its use. I had bought a 50 mm 1.4 U lens. Although good glass, AF not working well, and exposure off most of the time (no not used it wide open). So I become to dislike my 55O more and more, stupid me.

At the end the 1.4, 50 mm lens broke down, no focusing at all. I found my very old 50 MM, 1.8 and had no choice to use that. Now exposure is good, and AF much more satisfying.

BUT..... This holiday, I was using sometimes 3 camera's at the same time. All my regular stuff, with as usual the RX 100, portraits, the Canon D 550 and a lot of pics to please my gf, to post it on fb, the Samsung S 8 phone. These look surprisingly good on the phone's screen. I selected raw, but did not see it switched to regular after using. So I am stuck with only bad processed and over sharpened pics. PITY!

Now, here comes the 6400 in. I was thinking, as this is compact, is a DSLR, not need to put glasses on and off, use it for most of my travellings, instead of carrying and changing cameras, this could be much easier for me. I had the camera in my hand at the shop here in Thailand. Much compacter, great. They also had the Canon M 50, where nobody is raving about as the Sony's. Rather compact too. I took a shot in the shop of the salesman int he shop. Close. But colors of the sony, a bit too yellow at my liking.

I went home. Reading, thinking and now think the Sony would not be a good choice:

- Older design, and expect selfies, and better AF (but would that make a different, for somebody wanting good holiday pics?), some let down, for a modern camera.

- Buying all new lenses. The kit lens, not so good reviews.

- Battery life, also a problem on my RX 100 and not coming close to the D 550

- Even a bit bulky, the Canon 550 D is still a good camera. It is ME who takes the pic, and with some PP, not sure if final result would be so much better with a 6400 or 6500.

I still want it easier. Use the Sony RX 100, where I not need Bokeh. And go around for the rest with one camera, not too big, who can do it all.

So instead of buying the Sony, would I still not be better with either using my Canon D 55O with a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens? Or even a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, that would satisfy all my needs? Or buy the Canon M 50, easier as I am shortsighted, and do not to fuzzle with my glasses? I could still use my very good 1.8 50 mm?

Or still leave the option open, buy the Sony a 6400, with one better lens to start with.

You can see my pics, and the kind of amateur photographer I am below.

Link of result traveling with 3 cameras this time, with a lot of frustration, and not working well/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/166338328@N03/albums/72157707659591164

For the lazy people some pics of 3 cameras

-- hide signature --

2 Canon, 2 RX 100 and 2 Samsung S 8

see my pictures at

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125991523@N03/albums

Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow