Setting up a new in-house studio for products - advice please!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bokehbouquet New Member • Posts: 21
Setting up a new in-house studio for products - advice please!

Hi all,

I know these question/s might sound vague but that's only because I have no clue and I'm in desperate need of some advice - so thank you from the bottom of my heart in advance!

I fell into the role that I'm in now (in-house studio manager for an e-comm business) with only hobby photography experience. We are shooting mostly small to medium parts and accessories as well as people/motorbikes.

Currently our studio is 3m wide x 6m long with a bunch of cheap eBay continous lights which has gotten us by but not very well. We actually have 2x Aperture LED panels for video but i've been using them for photo as well.

We are moving into a bigger/better location and it's up to me to design a super efficient, epic studio. I would love advice on the following (even if its just some of the below that you know about):

1. Studio design and layout to have products moving through seamlessly. This may mean different sections that are permanently set up to do one thing. We will also need an area to do video (interviews, product demo's etc).

2. Studio dimensions - What is the bare minimum size that would work? What would be the ultimate size? What is the ideal height for the ceiling to be?

3. Lighting - I have no idea about this. Continuous? Strobe?

4. Lighting tent - is this the best way to light up small products? What is a good one to get?

5. Camera/lens set up. We currently have a Canon 7D mark II with kit lens as well as a macro lens and a 70-200mm

Sorry I know that's a lot! Appreciate any advice on the above.

Thank you

-

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow