Decentered lenses: a problem manufacturers should tackle?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Simon97
Simon97 Senior Member • Posts: 2,909
Decentered lenses: a problem manufacturers should tackle?

One thing that pops up here in the forums and I often read about in lens reviews is lens decentering. I've seen it in new primes but usually with zooms. I have 5 old lenses from the 70's and 80's and these don't exhibit the problem even after testing with a chart. I've returned cameras and lenses because the issue was bad enough to spoil my every day photos.

I've noticed how lenses have improved in image quality as cameras sensor resolution has increased. Some of the kit lenses released back in the day with 6mp cameras don't cut it on current cameras. My 18-55 lens that came with my 6mp Canon Rebel was marginal even back then, but the newer STM lenses are much better.

My point being, if lens quality can be improved, this decentering issue should be addressed as well. It would reduce the frustration of buying lenses and reduce the costs for manufacturers and retailers who have to deal with the returns.

Is this a realistic wish or just a pipe dream?

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow