AF assist light for the Z6 and Z7

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 25,968
AF assist light for the Z6 and Z7

I think that the built-in AF assist light is a nuisance, the design is wrong and the light is basically useless. Fortunately, the camera can focus down to pretty dim light, so it is not a big deal, but anyway...

The LED light is blocked by the lens, or the left hand holding the camera. The lens blocking the light even when the camera is on a tripod, more or less depending on the subject to camera distance. The problem can become quite serious if you want to use AF areas which end up totally out of the light beam, i.e. the AF areas on the right side in landscape orientation.

The solution is fairly simple, a separate and external AF light, which turns on and off by the camera. The light beam is created by a strong (18000 mcd) bright green LED, so the colour is the same as the one built in the camera. This unit can be used on any camera, not only the Nikon Z6 and Z7, but any other model or brand which has an AF assist LED built-in.

Not sure how often it will be used, but I made one anyway.

Of course, in my opinion it would be better if Nikon released a new flash with green light, but that may take a while, and would force people to buy a new flash, and I personally will not do than any time soon. I have more flashes than I need already today, so if Nikon wants to sell me a flash it must be more in it than AF assist.

The other thing is that I often use radio triggers, and that would not provide AF assist with a new flash anyway, so this extender comes to use even on the radio trigger.

Do you think this can be useful?

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow