Z6 or A7iii ??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
dream_capture Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Z6 or A7iii ??

billyb12321 wrote:

liopleurodon wrote:

It sounds like your decision is made for you by your choice of lenses. Go with the Sony as e-mount has the lenses you want native. In reality there isn't a much in the way of difference between the two bodies in terms of output, both have great DR, clean high ISO, sharp 4k video, etc. The Sony has better autofocus (speed and reliability) and battery life, the Nikon has a better viewfinder and likely better ergonomics (haven't shot one yet so I can't comment). Both will take great photos and video. So your decision comes down to glass. I chose Sony FE as my system because of lenses, not the body itself.

Looks like I'm going this way atm! I guess there's no point getting a really good camera if I don't have the lenses I want, and the Sony does look just as good.

Hi. We both are in the same boat lol. I’m upgrading from the same camera too! I too was decided on the a7iii until I saw some positive reviews on the Z6. So I bumped my thread here again and got some interesting opinions.

For me, the only factors that are favouring the Nikon are the evf and the touchscreen. Weather sealing is a factor but I think the Sony is going to be fine as long as you don’t abuse it. In every other department the Sony seems to be better. I went to the shop to see how good the Nikon is. There’s a lot of hype surrounding that camera these days. I liked the camera. That 24-70 is no small lens :). But it’s really good. Better dof capabilities than any f4 lens I have seen. The evf in the camera I tested was good but it was ‘unrealistically’ bright. The overall performance was very good. ISO performance is good too. That top display looked a bit cheap to me.

Now, I haven’t been able to compare the two cameras side by side. I’ll try and get the Sony once again to check. I’ll probably take a decision in a week. Evf is a huge factor for me as it’s something that we use every time we use the camera. So I’ll have to compare that.

Coming to the hype factor. Nikon cameras will always create more hype than a Sony camera because many pros and senior photographers are Nikon shooters and in this particular case they’ve been waiting for something to compete with the Sony. There are even more pros that shoot with the Canon so if the EOS R was as good or better than the Z6 and the a7iii, the hype would have been unreal! The camera world would have turned upside down.

Lens selection is limited on the Z mount right now but it’s going to improve quickly I think. If I really want to go for the Z6 I won’t be bothered by the lens selection much.

I’ll update my thread once I finalize.

dream_capture's gear list:dream_capture's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow