Something to Consider from Kirk Tuck

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,084
Something to Consider from Kirk Tuck

Kirk's recent post has a couple of interesting paragraphs tucked between some comments and photos (taken with a G9 and Oly 40-150 f2.8):

"

I headed home as the light dropped and looked at my take for the day. Instead of erasing this batch I thought I'd re-open the discussion about micro four thirds cameras and why I don't think the current trend toward 24 by 36 inch sensors matters at all. Disagree all you want but I think the future will focus much, much more on content and much, much less on technique and super production quality. Sure, you can have both but......

But however you slice the camera conundrum it's all moot if you just sit inside and bang away on the computer, having serious opinions about optical theory and whose camera is better than whose. The real test is when you take the gear out on the street, immerse yourself into a different milieu that your usual bridge game or golfing foray and take a peek at the world through the gear you've already hoarded and crowed about. Then you can have a conversation about style, look and content. Much better than waxing eloquent (?) about which company makes a better 35mm f1.4...... really. Go outside. Go where people congregate. Take photographs. Smile at the people. Slide into the slipstream. Go with the flow.It's groovy baby."

This resonates with me because, try as I might, I can't find a justification for rushing into FF. Given what I enjoy about m4/3, my workflow, and the results I want to get (and do). m4/3 works for me. Quite well.

Sure, I look at some photos taken with FF and love the low noise, the DR or the resolution. But then I think of the gear used to achieve that. Body size, not that much of a deal, but the differences in lenses. Oy.

However, the idea of the content is an even more compelling element when it comes to my preference for m4/3 (or should I say my lack of angst or anxiousness to adopt FF). I shoot primarily concerts. I'm a member of several concert photography groups on social media. I see lots of great images by other music togs every day...

...and...

about 80% of them look like they were shot by the same person, or at least had the same person do PP. (that's not accounting for the current fad among some music togs to use the "Clarity" or similar slider too much). M4/3 is part of my style, from the way I use it to the final results. I don't fret nearly as much about noise levels or resolution as I do about answering the question "Does this image capture a unique moment from this show? Or does it at least give the viewer a sense of being there, even being right on stage with the performer(s)?"

These questions are most of what drives my use of m4/3, far more than sensor size. For instance, there was a recent question in one of the aforementioned groups about which lenses people use most. Several mentioned using a 300 f2.8 to get decently framed shots from the sound booth (to which photographers are being relegated on a growing basis.) Now, a 300 f2.8 for FF is pretty big, especially compared to the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Olympus 4/3 zoom I use. Which also gives me an extra 100mm efl.

know one can argue that with FF I could use a 300 f4 lens, or similar zoom. Or that with the 300 f2.8 on FF I could get lower noise, higher resolution that would allow me to crop down to the 400mm efl my Olympus zoom gives me. I know. I understand.

So what?

What I use works for me. I enjoy using it. I get results that satisfy clients. My choice is in no way an indictment or dismissal of FF. My m4/3 gear doesn't make me a superior photographer (my skills make my m4/3 gear perform at its best though).

Because the content I produce, and how it connects with viewers on an emotional level is more important to me than technical considerations. And, in a way, the very flaws in IQ that some say makes m4/3 inferior are what I use to help bolster my preferred "look and style" of images.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://ikkensimages.com

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow