So, my SD1 Merrill returned from Japan and...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tantalum181
tantalum181 Forum Member • Posts: 89
So, my SD1 Merrill returned from Japan and...

Background:

Last year I purchased a new SD1 Merrill from Sigma directly as I wanted a 'fresh' camera body. I had been using a SD1 Merrill body that I had purchased used and it's sensor was showing signs of contamination.

Later in the year in purchased a 18-35 f1.8 sigma lens, again from Sigma directly. When I used this lens on the new camera body at f1.8-2.8, pictures were out of focus. I know they appeared in focus in the viewfinder.

This issue also seemed to occur with a f2.8 lens.

This was not the result I was looking for. That lens on the older body worked fine. After testing various setups I finally decided to send it to the Sigma facility in NY. They sent it to Japan. It has now returned. Now I can take pictures like below, subject in focus and things just a few inches fore and aft out of focus. That sliver of focus at f1.8 is still a challenge to get just right but at least now I have a shot at it. It is hard to imagine what a f1.4 lens would be like.

Local bike shop owner on task.

I guess if there is a purpose to this post it is that sometimes it is the camera at fault.

btw, it was repaired under the 4 year warrantee, kind of interesting for such an old camera model.

Now to get the other body cleaned, I have tried to do it myself and failed miserably. Now the contamination is all over the viewfinder too. I am not really sure where to send it...any ideas?

bob

ps, in another note, a friend I sometimes photograph with dropped his Sony a99 II while on a photo trip to Yosemite! He then proceeded to continue to photograph but they were all out of focus, kind of like my SD1 Merrill. I would have thought since it was not a reflex camera such a thing couldn't happen. Anyways, its off to the only Sony repair center in the USA.

-- hide signature --

Look where you want to go. Don't look where you don't want to go.

tantalum181's gear list:tantalum181's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sigma SD1 Merrill +7 more
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a99 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow