Your view of the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,565
Re: Your view of the FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS

Steve W wrote:

So lets forget about size, weight, and price. They are what they are. That is the cost of entry for a lens like this.

I am considering getting one finally to use for event and sports shooting for my Sony system where I know it the right focal length and the speed are what I need. Have a huge amount of experience with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II on my Canon systems.

So what is my question? The question is what do I have to watch out for with this lens? How does it perform? What are strengths and its weaknesses? I have read the reviews but most are old from when it came out where everyone was in love with the fact that Sony created the GM family. Its been a few years now and I am wondering how owners that have had it feel about it 1 to 2 years later. Also wondering what I should watch out for?

If you have experience with one I would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance.

Steve

p.s. I have adapted my Canon to my Sony bodies but I want something that can focus faster and allow my A9 to shoot at high frame rates. So that is why I want a native lens.

I was adapting EF lenses in this focal range when the 70-200 GM was released, and my interest was piqued.

Then I held off buying it for about a year due to various FUD opinions and reviews raising doubts about it. Finally I decided to bite ht bullet and bought a copy in late 2017.

I should not have waited. It is an absolutely stunning lens - handles beautifully, focuses like greased lightning, very sharp and renders gorgeously. I'd rate it as the best 70-200 I've shot. One afternoon out shooting sports (windsurfers) with it and I was totally hooked.

Since then I've continued to enjoy it - no regrets. And it's been solidly reliable. I use it with the TCs (I have both, but find the results with this lens best with the 1.4x).

I recommend you try it. I doubt you will be disappointed.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow