AI Noise Removal - Sample Pic

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robproctor83 Forum Member • Posts: 82
AI Noise Removal - Sample Pic

Hello,

I have been looking into good ways to remove noise. I've tried most of the common tools like Camera Raw, DXO, Noise Ninja, etc but recently started trying out some of the AI tools from Topaz and have been pleasantly surprised. Topaz has a program called Sharpen AI which is supposed to remove noise and sharpen, however oddly enough I found that their AI Gigapixel software works better (blow the photo up 4x and then scale it back down to normal size).

Camera Raw works pretty good, but after about 50 you start losing a lot of detail. If you are trying to clean out all the noise on a photo like my example you will end up at almost 100 which doesn't look too good. All standard noise software seems to suffer from this same issue.

Topaz Sharpen AI works well, however it will often find coarse noise and amplify it rather than remove it. When it works it works well, but when it doesn't it ruins the photo so it's uses are limited. Gigapixel AI on the other hand seems to clean noise more consistently and also seems to retain detail more accurately. However, it also suffers from the same issue where if the noise is too coarse it will amplify it.

So, in order to make this work right I have found that you need to use your normal noise removal software to reduce the noise to a point where the grain is much softer without losing a lot of detail. So for Camera Raw that is around 50. Once you knock the noise down a few stops you can then typically take the photo and clean out the remaining noise without losing detail by running it through Gigapixel AI.

25k ISO - No Noise Removal

25k ISO - Noise Removed with Gigapixel and Camera Raw (Minimal detail lost)

25k ISO - Noise Removed with only Camera Raw (Much detail lost)

robproctor83's gear list:robproctor83's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art Google Pixel 3 +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow