Purchase regret

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,715
Re: Purchase regret

jj13121062 wrote:

Aberaeron wrote:

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I reckon that the time not to like something is before purchase, not after. After purchase is the time, not for regrets, but to move forward and learn how to get the best out of the purchase. The A6000 can't be bad or it would not be among the best selling cameras of recent years, although I've never wanted one myself. If I was a shopkeeper I would not consider taking back goods because someone has regrets. Not without a hefty restocking charge. This is not 'distance selling' after all, where someone has no chance of looking at the product before purchase.

There is a 30 day return policy which is why I’m considering making the switch. Most of the online retailers have a return policy- I would assume that the shopkeeper wants to keep up with the online retailers especially since many times one can shop online and save on sales tax. If they did not have a return policy, it may have pushed me to order somewhere else.

They were also very clear that they wanted me to be happy with my purchase even if it meant returning. It would make sense to me that a small camera shop would hope to gain a long term customer when they determine the return policy.

I have been shooting with Pentax APS-C DSLRs since 2005, and I am now shooting more and more with M43 (see my gear list).

I also use high end small sensor compacts ( presently a Panasonic LF1 and an Olympus XZ10). I also have enjoyed a Fuji X-S1 high end bridge.

This is a geek forum and most posters will recommand high grade expensive gear, which you wont necessarily enjoy.

You say you are new to photography.

I understand you never used ILC cameras before.

Have you already used compact zoom cameras?

If not, as you said you dont like your  Sony A6000 and you can return it and get a full refund, I suggest you also consider buying a high end 1" sensor bridge camera, like a Panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2000, or Sony RX10-2 or RX10-3.

These all in one cameras are, IMO, much more beginner friendly, as you wont have to bother with interchangeable lenses, and their rather fast lens will deliver the same bokeh and subject separation than a M43 ILC camera with a slower kit lens.

You can start using them in full auto, then in scene modes and learn progressively using A or S mode and dealing with post processing. Post processing will make your pictures pop more efficiently than buying expensive gear.

Once you will have enjoyed one of these high end bridge, you will know whether you want to upgrade to an ILC system, and which.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow